The Best of Both Worlds: Part 2
I don’t know if you remember, but a while ago I posted some awesome cake/cupcake recipes. One was gluten-free/dairy-free/sugar-free and the other was…well, not. So, now I present to you, the best of both worlds: chocolate chip cookie style. One is glutenous gooey goodness, and the other is gluten-free, honey-sweetened perfection. I am currently not supposed to be eating gluten or dairy, so when I make desserts I usually make something to offer everyone. My gluten-free treats could satisfy all the gluten eaters out there, but if I make something else for them that means more for me!
Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
via smitten kitchen
As always with cookies, you can scoop, flash freeze and then freeze the cookies until you’re ready to bake them, or to bake a few off at a time. You can bake them straight from the freezer, adding a few minutes to your baking time, of course, or let them thaw out on a tray for a while.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time (for giant cookies) or a tablespoon at a time (for smaller cookies) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
5. Bake larger cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller ones (check your cookies before they’re done; depending on your scoop size, your baking time will vary) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Gluten-Free/Honey-Sweetened Chocolate Chip Cookies
2/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
3. Add in dry ingredients, and mix well with a spoon or spatula. Allow to sit for a minute, as batter will thicken.
4. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop cookie dough a tablespoon at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. (These cookies will not spread as much as regular cookies. You can flatten each one a little with a fork if you’d like thinner cookies.)
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.